Thursday, January 17, 2008

13 for MLK





In honor of Martin Luther King, Jr. - he would have been 79 last Tuesday- and further inspired by a Buddhist lecture that I attended last night, here are thirteen things that I can do to bring more peace and fairness to my corner of the world.




1.... Take a few minutes each morning to clear my mind so that I can start the day feeling a little more relaxed and purposeful. Sometimes my brain sounds like a cassette tape that is running too fast. I usually wake up bfore the boys, so this shouldn't be too hard.



2.... Sometimes my Yankee New Englander reservedness gets in the way of my warmth. I'm going to try and not be so fearful of expressing my warmth to others.



3...Give more time and money to our local food bank.



4....Fill out comment cards when I go places expressing my appreciation for friendliness and helpfulness. Too often people only fill them out when they're angry. I am particularly thinking of our library and the Y, but they are everywhere.



5....Offer more support and comfort to my friend who is trying to affect positive change for racial minorities where she teaches school.



6....Let my husband know, more often, how much I appreciate his hard work so that I can stay home with our kids.



7....Bring a meal and some flowers to my neighbor who is tending to her 97 yo mother and her ailing husband.



8....Be more patient.



9....When thigs go awry, remember that This too will pass. Or as Sandra Dodd puts it, there are no bad days, just bad moments. Or something like that.



10...Expose my boys to peaceful messages more often. I love and appreciate their fascination with weapons and conflict, and I can converse with them more about "the force" and "the dark side." Maybe strew some quotes about peace.



11...Keep hugging my boys every morning. Start the day with loving gestures and words as they wake up.



12...When people irritate me, try to shake it off and remember #9.



13....Remember the power and reverberation of "The Dream." If you want to see a video and hear the "I Have A Dream" speech, click here.





Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful list, thanks. I am a teacher in Miami and we get Monday off in honor of Dr. King. I will be able to do most of your suggestions!

Unknown said...

What a wonderful list, and let me say that number 4 is something I have done for years....comment on the good and the bad too. I think we forget to tell people they have done a good job far too often.
Good luck with the patience, I struggle with that one too.
My first visit, hopefully not my last.
Peace, love, and Mama Bear Hugs,

Amber Gilchrist said...

I try to remember those same things but it isn't always easy is it. Especially the patience.

Zenmomma said...

Such good ideas!

Magpie said...

That's a nice list.

I did do a double take though, because I thought the post title was "13 for Milk" - and I couldn't figure out what you were talking about!

Anonymous said...

Good list. I definitely have to work on #8