Thursday, March 20, 2008

13 reasons why I love unschooling



1.I can stay home with my children and learn beside them.

2.My children get to make friends with a wide variety of people.

3.We get to cuddle in the morning and talk quietly before we start the day.

4.Despite periodic illness, my kids have perfect attendance records :).

5.I trust my children to learn what they need to know when they need to know it, so they never feel "behind."

6.No school bullies live here.

7.My children get to know me as a full person, not just as a mom.

8.The principles of unschooling have helped me to be a better wife, friend, and parent.

9.Because we unschool, my children do not view learning as a task that is separate from their life.
10.My boys get the opportunity to truly bond as brothers.

11.No cold, early morning, wet, snowy, shivery bus stop.

12.Museums, movies, beaches, parks...all are nearly empty, cheaper, and easy to explore when everyone else is in school.

13.I get to be with my kids every day, and I love watching them grow and change. I'm not missing anything.

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful life. Congrats, you deserve it.

Fish and Chips, or...

Bangers and Mash?

We can't decide which is best. Prolly Fish and Chips, people won't understand the Bangers.

marcia@joyismygoal said...

GOOd post how nice for your family-- I got to see blurbs of that speech(below) it was awesome and frank

Anonymous said...

A wonderful Thursday 13! We home-schooled our daughter for a while, and loved every minute of it. When we moved to a new area she chose to go back to school but the time away had really boosted her confidence and given her back her love of learning and zest for life. It's a wonderful experience for all the family; lovely hearing about yours!
Mine's up too:
http://bellamocha.wordpress.com/2008/03/20/thursday-thirteen-7

K. said...

Great list. We've been homeschooling from the very beginning, but had only danced around and flirted with unschooling for most of that. This is the first year we've really embraced it and it's been so amazing. I think we had a lot of the things that you listed even before we committed to unschooling, but now we can have those things and not feel "guilty" about them, like it's something we're taking on the sly when we should be doing "serious work." Or whatever.

Anyway, anyone who has met Mr. Rogers is a friend of mine, so it's nice to meet a new friend in the neighborhood! :P

Anonymous said...

Wonderful list. SO with you :)

piscesgrrl said...

Great list!